Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Pablo Neruda (1904 - 1973) Chile

Love

Woman, I have become your son, by drinking
The milk from your breasts as if from a spring,
By looking at you and feeling you by my side and to have you
In the laughter of gold and in the voice of crystal.
By feeling you in my veins like God in the rivers
And adoring you in sad bones of dust and lime,
Because you passed by my side without pain
And left through the strophe—clean of everything bad—

How would I know to love you, woman, how would I know
To love you, love you as nobody knew never before!
Dying and still
To love you more.
And still
To love you more
And more.

******

Amor

Mujer, yo hubiera sido tu hijo, por beberte
la leche de los senos como de un manantial,
por mirarte y sentirte a mi lado y tenerte
en la risa de oro y la voz de cristal.
Por sentirte en mis venas como Dios en los ríos
y adorarte en los tristes huesos de polvo y cal,
porque tu ser pasara sin pena al lado mío
y saliera en la estrofa —limpio de todo mal—.

Cómo sabría amarte, mujer, cómo sabría
amarte, amarte como nadie supo jamás!
Morir y todavía
amarte más.
Y todavía
amarte más
y más.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The Potter

Your whole body is
A glass of wine
Or sweetness destined for me.
When I raise my hand,
I find in every place a dove
Seeking for me,
As if, my love,
You were made of clay
For my very hands of a potter.
Your knees, your breasts,
Your waist,
Disappear in me like in a hollow
Of a thirsting earth
Where they lose
A form,
And together
We become like a single river,
Like a single grain of sand.

******

El Alfarero

Todo tu cuerpo tiene
copa o dulzura destinada a mí.
Cuando subo la mano
encuentro en cada sitio una paloma
que me buscaba, como
si te hubieran, amor, hecho de arcilla
para mis propias manos de alfarero.
Tus rodillas, tus senos
tu cintura
faltan en mí como en el hueco
de una tierra sedienta
de la que desprendieron
una forma,
y juntos somos completos como un solo río,
como una sola arena.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Poem 1

Body of a woman, white hills, white thighs,
You look like a world in your posture of surrender.
My body of a savage laborer digs in you
And makes the son leap from the depth of the earth.

I was only like a tunnel. The birds fled from me
And the night entered me with its forceful invasion.
To survive myself I forged you like a weapon.
Like an arrow in my bow, like a stone in my sling.

But the hour of the vengeance falls, and I love you.
Body of skin, of moss, of avid and firm milk.
Ah the goblets of your breasts! Ah the eyes of absence!
Ah the roses of the pubis! Ah your voice,slow and sad!

Body of my woman I will persist in your grace.
My thirst, my endless anxiety, my road undecided!
Dark river-beds where the eternal thirst follows,
And weariness follows, and the pain infinite.

*****

Poema 1

Cuerpo de mujer, blancas colinas, muslos blancos,
te pareces al mundo en tu actitud de entrega.
Mi cuerpo de labriego salvaje te socava
y hace saltar el hijo del fondo de la tierra.

Fui solo como un túnel. De mí huían los pájaros
y en mí la noche entraba su invasión poderosa.
Para sobrevivirme te forjé como un arma,
como una flecha en mi arco, como una piedra en mi honda.

Pero cae la hora de la venganza, y te amo.
Cuerpo de piel, de musgo, de leche ávida y firme.
Ah los vasos del pecho! Ah los ojos de ausencia!
Ah las rosas del pubis! Ah tu voz lenta y triste!

Cuerpo de mujer mía, persistiré en tu gracia.
Mi sed, mi ansia sin límite, mi camino indeciso!
Oscuros cauces donde la sed eterna sigue,
y la fatiga sigue, y el dolor infinito.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Poem 3

Ah vastness of pines, murmur of waves breaking,
slow play of lights, solitary bell,
twilight falling in your eyes, baby doll,
snail of the earth, in you the earth sings!

In you the rivers sing, and my soul in them flees
as you desire it, and you send it where you will.
Mark for me my road on your brows of hope
and I in my delirium will release the flock of arrows.

Around me I see your waist of fog
and your silence accosts my troubled hours,
and you are with your transparent arms of stones
where my kisses anchor and my damp desire nests.

Ah your mysterious voice that love colors and tolls
in the resonant and dying evening!
Thus in deep hours over the fields I have seen
the ears of wheat tolling in the mouth of the wind.

*****

Poema 3

Ah vastedad de pinos, rumor de olas quebrándose,
lento juego de luces, campana solitaria,
crepúsculo cayendo en tus ojos, muñeca,
caracola terrestre, en ti la tierra canta!

En ti los ríos cantan y mi alma en ellos huye
como tú lo desees y hacia donde tú quieras.
Márcame mi camino en tu arco de esperanza
y soltaré en delirio mi bandada de flechas.

En torno a mí estoy viendo tu cintura de niebla
y tu silencio acosa mis horas perseguidas,
y eres tú con tus brazos de piedra transparente
donde mis besos anclan y mi húmeda ansia anida.

Ah tu voz misteriosa que el amor tiñe y dobla
en el atardecer resonante y muriendo!
Así en horas profundas sobre los campos he visto
doblarse las espigas en la boca del viento.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Poem 5

So that you hear me
my words
thin out sometimes
like seagulls in lines on the shore.

A necklace, a drunken bell
for your hands smooth like grapes.

And I look at my words from a distance
More than mine they are yours.
Like ivies they climb my old pain.

They climb like this up the humid walls.
You are the guilty one of this bloody game.

They are fleeing from my empty den.
You pervade everything, everything you pervade.

They earlier filled the solitude that you now enter,
and are accustomed more than you to my sadness.

Now I want them say what I want to tell you
so that you hear them like I want you to hear me.

The wind of anguish sometimes still drags them.
Hurricanes of dreams at times still tumble them.

Listen to other voices in my painful voice.
Crying of old mouths, blood of old pleas.
Love me, companion. Do not abandon me. Follow me.
Follow me, companion, in this wave of anguish.

But they go on tainting my words with your love.
You fill everything, everything you fill.

I'll be making an infinite necklace out of all this
for your white hands, smooth like grapes.

*****

Poema 5

Para que tú me oigas
mis palabras
se adelgazan a veces
como las huellas de las gaviotas en las playas.

Collar, cascabel ebrio
para tus manos suaves como las uvas.

Y las miro lejanas mis palabras.
Más que mías son tuyas.
Van trepando en mi viejo dolor como las yedras.

Ellas trepan así por las paredes húmedas.
Eres tú la culpable de este juego sangriento.

Ellas están huyendo de mi guarida oscura.
Todo lo llenas tú, todo lo llenas.

Antes que tú poblaron la soledad que ocupas,
y están acostumbradas más que tú a mi tristeza.

Ahora quiero que digan lo que quiero decirte
para que tú las oigas como quiero que me oigas.

El viento de la angustia aún las suele arrastrar.
Huracanes de sueños aún a veces las tumban.

Escuchas otras voces en mi voz dolorida.
Llanto de viejas bocas, sangre de viejas súplicas.
Ámame, compañera. No me abandones. Sígueme.
Sígueme, compañera, en esa ola de angustia.

Pero se van tiñendo con tu amor mis palabras.
Todo lo ocupas tú, todo lo ocupas.

Voy haciendo de todas un collar infinito
para tus blancas manos, suaves como las uvas.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Poem 19

Brown-haired agile girl, the sun that forms the fruits,
Ripens the wheat and coils the seaweed
Has made your beautiful body, your shining eyes
And your mouth that has the smile of water.

A black and anguised sun rolls you in the threads
Of your long black hair when you open your arms.
You play in the sun as playing in a tidal river
That leaves two dark pools in your eyes.

Brown-haired agile girl, nothing from you comes to me.
All of you go away from me as if from the noon.
You are the delirious youth of bee,
The drunkenness of the wave, the force of the ear of wheat.

My somber hearts searches for you, nevertheless,
And I love your beautiful body, your voice soft and free.
Sweet and sure brown-haired butterfly,
Like the fields of wheat, the sun, the poppy and the water.

*****

Poema 19

Niña morena y ágil, el sol que hace las frutas,
el que cuaja los trigos, el que tuerce las algas,
hizo tu cuerpo alegre, tus luminosos ojos
y tu boca que tiene la sonrisa del agua.

Un sol negro y ansioso se te arrolla en las hebras
de la negra melena, cuando estiras los brazos.
Tú juegas con el sol como con un estero
y él te deja en los ojos dos oscuros remansos.

Niña morena y ágil, nada hacia ti me acerca.
Todo de ti me aleja, como del mediodía.
Eres la delirante juventud de la abeja,
la embriaguez de la ola, la fuerza de la espiga.

Mi corazón sombrío te busca, sin embargo,
y amo tu cuerpo alegre, tu voz suelta y delgada.
Mariposa morena dulce y definitiva
como el trigal y el sol, la amapola y el agua.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Sonnet XI

I am hungry for your mouth, your voice, your skin
I wander in the streets without food, quiet,
Bread does not sustain me, dawn disquiets me
All day I search for the liquid sounds of your feet.
I am hungry for your smooth laughter,
For your hands the color of a savage harvest,
Hungry for the pail stones of your nails.
Like a whole almond I want to eat your skin.

I want to eat the ray burnt by your beauty,
The sovereign nose of the arrogant face,
I want to eat the fleeting shadow of your lashes.

And I come hungry sniffing the twilight,
Searching for you, searching for your hot heart
Like a puma in the solitude of Quitratue.

*****

Tengo hambre de tu boca, de tu voz, de tu pelo
y por las calles voy sin nutrirme, callado,
no me sostiene el pan, el alba me desquicia,
busco el sonido líquido de tus pies en el día.

Estoy hambriento de tu risa resbalada,
de tus manos color de furioso granero,
tengo hambre de la pálida piedra de tus uñas,
quiero comer tu piel como una intacta almendra.

Quiero comer el rayo quemado en tu hermosura,
la nariz soberana del arrogante rostro,
quiero comer la sombra fugaz de tus pestañas

y hambriento vengo y voy olfateando el crepúsculo
buscándote, buscando tu corazón caliente
como un puma en la soledad de Quitratúe.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Sonnet LXXIX

At night, my love, tie your heart to my heart
And they’ll defeat the darkness in dreams
Like two drums beating in a forest
Against the heavy wall of wet leaves.

Night crossing, black coal of dreams,
Intercepts the thread of earthly grapes
With the tenacity of a beheading train
Ceaselessly dragging shadows and cold stones.

So, my love, tie me with a pure gesture
To the tenacity that beats in your chest
With the wings of a submerged swan.

So that to the starry questions of the sky
Our dream responds with a single key,
To a single door closed by the night.


Note: Line 8 needs correction.

*****

Sonnet LXXIX

De noche, amada, amarra tu corazón al mío
y que ellos en el sueño derroten las tinieblas
como un doble tambor combatiendo en el bosque
contra el espeso muro de las hojas mojadas.

Nocturna travesía, brasa negra del sueño
interceptando el hilo de las uvas terrestres
con la puntualidad de un tren descabellado
que sombra y piedras frías sin cesar arrastrara.

Por eso, amor, amárrame el movimiento puro,
a la tenacidad que en tu pecho golpea
con las alas de un cisne sumergido,

para que a las preguntas estrelladas del cielo
responda nuestro sueño con una sola llave,
con una sola puerta cerrada por la sombra.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Sonnet LXXXI


Already you are mine. Resting in your dream with my dream.
Love, pain, work must sleep for now.
The night turns on its invisible wheels
And beside me you’re like pure honey, asleep.

Nothing more, love, you’ll sleep with my dreams.
You’ll go, together we’ll go by the tide of the times.
No body will travel by my shadows,
Only you, always lifelike, always the sun, always the moon.

Already your hands opened the delicate fists
And dropped smooth signs without a direction,
Your eyes closed like two gray wings.

While I follow the water that carries you and me:
The night, the world, the winds wind their destiny,
And no longer am I with you but only your dream.

*****

SONETO LXXXI

Ya eres mía. Reposa con tu sueño en mi sueño.
Amor, dolor, trabajos, deben dormir ahora.
Gira la noche sobre sus invisibles ruedas
y junto a mí eres pura como el ámbar dormido.

Ninguna más, amor, dormirá con mis sueños.
Irás, iremos juntos por las aguas del tiempo.
Ninguna viajará por la sombra conmigo,
sólo tú, siempreviva, siempre sol, siempre luna.

Ya tus manos abrieron los puños delicados
y dejaron caer suaves signos sin rumbo,
tus ojos se cerraron como dos alas grises,

mientras yo sigo el agua que llevas y me lleva:
la noche, el mundo, el viento devanan su destino,
y ya no soy sin ti sino sólo tu sueño.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Absence

Scarecly have I left you,
when you go into me, transparent
or shaking,
or restless, wounded by myself
or loaded up with love, as when your eyes
close upon the gift of life
that I ceaselessly give you.

Love of mine,
we have found eachother
thirsty and we have
drunk up all the water and the blood,
we found each other
with hunger
and we bit each other
as the fire bites,
leaving in us the wounds.

But wait for me,
save for me your sweetness.
I too will give you
a rose.

*****

Ausencia

Apenas te he dejado,
vas en mí, cristalina
o temblorosa,
o inquieta, herida por mí mismo
o colmada de amor, como cuando tus ojos
se cierran sobre el don de la vida
que sin cesar te entrego.

Amor mío,
nos hemos encontrado
sedientos y nos hemos
bebido toda el agua y la sangre,
nos encontramos
con hambre
y nos mordimos
como el fuego muerde,
dejándonos heridas.

Pero espérame,
guárdame tu dulzura.
Yo te daré también
una rosa.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Now they give me peace,
Now let them be without me.
I am going to close my eyes
And only want five things
Five basic preferred things:
First is the love without an end.
Second is the autumn to see.
I cannot be without leaves
They fly and come back to land.
Third is the terrible winter,
The rain that I loved,
In the wild cold the fire’s caress,
Fourth place is the summer
Round as a water melon.
The fifth are your eyes,
Matilda, my beautiful love.
I do not want to sleep without your eyes
I do not want you be not looking at me.
I will change the spring
For you’ll continue looking at me.

*****

Ahora me dejen tranquilo,
ahora se acostumbren sin mí
yo voy a cerrar los ojos
y sólo quiero cinco cosas
cinco raíces preferidas:
Una es el amor sin fin,
lo segundo es ver el otoño;
no puedo ser, sin que las hojas
vuelen y vuelvan a la tierra.
Lo tercero es el grave invierno,
la lluvia que amé,
la caricia del fuego en el frío silvestre.
En cuarto lugar el verano
redondo como una sandía.
La quinta cosa son tus ojos,
Matilde mía bien amada,
no quiero dormir sin tus ojos.
No quiero ser sin que me mires.
Yo cambio la primavera
por que tu me sigas mirando.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home