Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Juana de Ibarbourou ( ) Uruguay

The Knife Sharpener

This terrible pain builds up every night
For a new pair of wings…
Where will be those who yesterday
Put on my shoulders the insomnia
Of the first hour of dawn!

Day, the knife-sharpener of the gold-scissors,
The steel-daggers and the iron-backs;
Last night I had the wings
And I reached the sky.
But this morning
You arrived with your flute and stone
And your twelve silver-knives.

Then, slowly began cutting the wings.

*****

El afilador

Este dolor heroico de hacerse para cada noche
Un nuevo par de alas...
Dónde estarán las que ayer puso sobre mis hombros
El insomnio de la primera hora del alba!

Día, afilador de tijeras de oro,
Y puñales de acero, y espaldas de hierro;
Anoche yo tenía alas
Y estuve cerca del cielo.
Pero esta mañana
Llegaste tú con tu flauta, tu piedra.
Tus doce cuchillos de plata.

Y lentamente me fuiste cortando las alas.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The Hour

Take me now though it’s early
I bring fresh dahlias in my hands.

Take me now though it’s somber
and silent is my head.

Now that my body smells sweet
and the eyes are clean and like a rose is my skin.

Now that I have on my soles
the living sandals of the spring.

Now on my lips the laughter rings
like a bell rings in a hurry.

Later...Ah! I know
nothing much of it will remain later!

Useless will be then your desire
like an offering placed in a mausoleum.

Take me now though it’s early,
my hands with nard are richly creamed.

Today, but not much late. Before the night falls,
and the fresh corolla withers off.

Today, and not tomorrow. Oh Lover! Don’t you see
that a creeper grows into a cypress?

*****

La Hora

Tómame ahora que aun es temprano
y que llevo dalias nuevas en la mano.

Tómame ahora que aun es sombría
esta taciturna cabellera mía.

Ahora que tengo la carne olorosa
y los ojos limpios y la piel de rosa.

Ahora que calza mi planta ligera
la sandalia viva de la primavera.

Ahora que mis labios repica la risa
como una campana sacudida a prisa.

Después..., ¡ah, yo sé
que ya nada de eso mas tarde tendré!

Que entonces inútil será tu deseo,
como ofrenda puesta sobre un mausoleo.

¡Tómame ahora que aun es temprano
y que tengo rica de nardos la mano!

Hoy, y no mas tarde. Antes que anochezca
y se vuelva mustia la corola fresca.

Hoy, y no mañana. ¡Oh amante! ¿no ves
que la enredadera crecerá ciprés?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The Promise

All the gold in the world lacked
Luster in the evening shine!
Barely in the twilight of rose
Were the tops of trees dyed.

A surprise love, my hand joined
With his hand, dark and trembling!
We were Booz and Ruth before the beauty
That surrounded the farmstead.

“Will you love me?” You whispered. Slowly and surely,
Trilled in my lips the soft promise
Of sweetness to lover from Moabita.

And it was like an “Amen!” In that moment
The rhythm of oration rose vibrating
With the rhythm of the hermitage bell.

*****

La Promesa

¡Todo el oro del mundo parecía
diluído en la tarde luminosa!
Apenas un crepúsculo de rosa,
la copa de los árboles teñía.

Un imprevisto amor, mi mano unía
a tu mano, morena y temblorosa.
¡Eramos Booz y Ruth ante la hermosa
era que circundaba la alquería!

"¿Me amarás?", murmuraste. Lenta y grave
vibró en mis labios la promesa suave
de la dulce, la amante moabita.

Y fué como un ¡Amén! en ese instante
el toque de oración que alzó vibrante
la rítmica campana de la ermita

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home